Explanation of the Bank Erosion Hazard Index Exercise
To assess the Rosgen Bank Erosion Hazard Index (BEHI) value estimated from given Stream characteristics.
- BEHI index numbers for the E4 channel are as follows:
- Bank height to Bankfull height index of 6.0
- Root depth to bank height ratio index of 5.9
- Root density index of 2.0
- Bank angle index 4.0
- Surface protection index 4.0
- Cobble bank material subtract 10 points
- Total BEHI Score is 21.9 - 10.0 = 11.9
- Hazard of Risk Ranking is Low. If the cobble had been absent, or sand and gravel occupied more than 50% of the substrate, then the rating would have been Moderate.
Image modified courtesy of Rosgen