Explanation of the Pfankuch-Rosgen Stability Exercise
To assess Pfankuch-Rosgen channel stability rank given Stream characteristics.
- The described C3 river received the following Pfankuch-Rosgen scores:
- Upper Banks: Landform slope of 6, Mass wasting of 6, Debris jam potential of 3, Vegetative bank protection of 12.
- Lower Banks: Channel capacity of 2, Bank rock content of 4, Obstructions to flow of 4, Cutting of 4, Deposition of 8
- Bottom: Rock angularity of 3, Brightness of 2, Consolidation of particles of 4, Bottom size distribution of 12, Scouring and Deposition of 12, and Aquatic vegetation of 3.
- The Pfankuch-Rosgen numeric total score from the right hand column is 85.
- Conversion of Pfankuch-Rosgen numeric score to a C3 Reach condition resulted in a ranking of good, but at the outer limit and nearing fair.
Image modified courtesy of Rosgen